Friday, February 6, 2009
On the Menu at the Art House Cafe-Chicken and Canellini Bean Soup with Herbed Puff Pastry Sticks
I love soup! Especially during this time of year, a hot bowl of soup is as comforting as it is yummy-and the best part about it is, you can throw just about anything you want into it. So, here's my idea of a great chicken soup with a little something extra on the side.
2 baked split chicken breasts, shredded
2 carrots cut into 1/2 in pieces
2 stalks of celery cut into 1/2 in pieces
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion (yellow or Spanish) minced
2 1qt cans of chicken stock
2 15.5 oz cans of canellini beans, drained
3-4 Tbsp of tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Saute the garlic and onions in the olive oil in a large pot or stock pot on medium-low heat until transparent.
2. Add the celery and carrots and saute for a minute or two longer.
3. Add the chicken stock, chicken, tomato paste, and seasonings.
4. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about an hour.
5. Add the beans and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
Herbed Puff Pastry Sticks
1 sheet of puff pastry dough, thawed
Pinch of coarse salt
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
Pinch of black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet, then place the sheet of puff pastry on the parchment paper and cut into approximately 1 inch strips. Then separate the strips and place them about an inch apart.
3. Using a mortar and pestal or a bowl and the back of a spoon, gently grind the seasonings together with the olive oil.
4. Brush the mixture over the puff pastry strips and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.